Brandon Gap’s household apologize
INDIANAPOLIS – The family of the man suspected of killing eight people and injuring many others made a statement on Saturday.
In the brief statement, the family declined all interview requests. The family apologized and noticed that they were trying to turn to Brandon Scott Hole, 19, for help.
“We are devastated at the loss of life caused by Brandon’s actions. Through the love of his family, we tried to give him the help he needed, “the statement says.” Our sincere and heartfelt apologies to the victims of this pointless tragedy. We are so sorry for the pain and hurt felt by their families and the entire Indianapolis community. “
In March 2020, Hole’s mother had contacted the authorities fearing that her son might “commit suicide by police officers”.
Officials from the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department temporarily put Hole into a mental state and took a shotgun from his home.
Police say the 19-year-old gunman who died by suicide was a former employee:Vigils scheduled for 8 victims of FedEx shootings in Indianapolis
Hole, a former FedEx employee, died of suicide after going to the FedEx Plainfield Ground Operations Center Thursday night and opening fire in the parking lot and then inside the building.
Indianapolis police said late Saturday that Hole used two assault rifles in the massacre. Police said a trace of the two guns revealed that Hole had legally purchased the rifles in July and September last year.
Police said officials couldn’t share where Hole bought the guns at the time, citing the investigation.
Police had not shared a motive for the shooting until Saturday night. Vigils for the eight victims, aged 19 to 74, are planned this weekend.
On Saturday night, Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett joined staff, family members and friends of those whose lives were lost at a candlelight vigil in Krannert Park on the west side.
The gathering not only offered sympathy and prayers, but also called for stricter gun laws after the tragedy at the FedEx Plainfield Ground Operations Center.
“We cannot live with the constant threat of gun violence everywhere,” said Rep. Andre Carson, D-Ind., Whose Indianapolis district is a part. “It’s not normal. It will never be normal. … Let’s turn this tragedy into a catalyst for change and create safer communities for all Americans.”
Craig McCartt, assistant chief of the Indianapolis Police Department, gave a brief description of the shooter’s actions on Friday morning.
“So what we found out beforehand from the interviews we conducted was that this suspect came into the facility. And when he got there, he got out of his car and started randomly shooting outside the facility pretty quickly.” he said.
He added, “There was no confrontation with anyone who was there. There was no interference. There was no argument. He just seemed to start shooting by chance.
Featuring: Lawrence Andrea, Tim Evans, and Sarah Nelson, The Indianapolis Star.
Fellow Shari Rudavsky on Twitter: @srudavsky.