Carbon Monoxide Deaths, Illnesses in Michigan

Authorities on Sunday investigated the deaths of four people at a three-day country music festival in Michigan, including three men found dead in a trailer suspected of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Lenawee County Sheriff officials said they received an emergency call about “unresponsive” at a campsite near the Faster Horses Festival in Brooklyn. First responders arrived and found five unconscious men in their early 20s in the trailer. Three were pronounced dead at the scene and two were ambulance to a local hospital in critical condition and treated for acute carbon monoxide poisoning, the sheriff’s office said in a statement.

Investigators said the caller was a friend who worried when he hadn’t heard from the men.

“This tragic incident is being investigated as a suspected carbon monoxide exposure from a generator located very close to the trailer,” the statement said.

Nationals Padres game suspended after three injuries filming in front of Nationals Park in Washington DC

Also on Sunday, the state police investigated the death of Melissa Donna Havens, 30. An autopsy and toxicological tests were performed on Havens, whose body was found early Saturday. Detectives sought public help in identifying a man Havens was seen with within 24 hours of her body being found.

“Detectives want the public to know that there is no danger or threat to people,” said the state police at the festival.

The event drew thousands to Michigan International Speedway, 80 miles west of Detroit. The last band should play on Sunday evening. The organizers did not immediately respond to a request for comment from USA TODAY, and the deaths were not mentioned on the festival’s social media until Sunday morning.

The organizers mention the use of generators on campsites in their festival factsheet and say that generators can be used except in the infield. But approval comes with a warning.

“The campsites are very close to each other, so we ask all festival campers to be considerate of their camping neighbors when using a generator,” says the factsheet. “To avoid excessive amounts of carbon monoxide and noise, please” pipe “internal generators. This means that the exhaust gases can be directed above the motorhome and not into the camping area of ​​your neighbors. “

Comments are closed.