Profession suggestions for the summer time break – Scholar Companies
May 15, 2021
Plan your future and discover opportunities.
Posted in: Announcements, Events, Specials, Parents and Family, Red Hawk News
Summer is a great time to gain experience through seasonal jobs, internships, and volunteering. Career Services will continue to post opportunities in Rent a Red Hawk all summer long. Check out some new opportunities that have just been released:
Campus recreation, lifeguards
- Campus Recreation is looking for lifeguards this summer! We offer flexible schedules, a variety of special events, and a fun work environment. Not certified yet? No problem! Simply pass the American Red Cross lifeguard test, take our lifeguard course for free, and then get paid to guard.
New Summer Jobs & Internships Posted on Hire a Red Hawk
- The borrowing project: Political Affairs Intern (11374)
- Hiltzik strategies: PR intern (13467)
- Kandle Dining Services: Dietetics Intern (12647)
- Greener JC (Jersey City): Scholarship and Marketing Intern (13461)
- Information Technology Department: Student Tech / Wireless Survey Assistant (13858)
- Montclair Movie: Part-time teaching assistant (13564)
- Children in the game: Warehouse Advisor (13691)
Check further Rent a Red Hawk to search and apply for jobs and internships during the break.
Think about the past year
This year you have gone through uncertain and difficult times. Think about the stamina, agility and resilience it takes to face these challenges. These are qualities that not only determine who you become in the future, but also qualities that employers look for when hiring new people.
With that in mind, take some time to discover your strengths, explore your interests, and decide what is important to you. Career Services offers Self-assessment tools to help you set your long-term and short-term career goals. The summer break is a good time to make an assessment. Make sure you set one up Appointment with your career advisor to check your results.
Freshen up and upskill
Acquire a new skill or sharpen a current skill
- LinkedIn learning: Register for online courses that will expand your skills, add badges to your profile, and set you apart from other candidates. Online courses are a great way to keep your knowledge updated and expand your understanding in your field.
- Summer Sessions: If you’re still unsure of your career path, experiment with a class in a different area to better determine your direction. Montclair State offers a variety of summer skill building courses.
Update your resume
- Upload your résumé to get feedback: You worked hard over the past year. Make sure this is reflected on your resume and in your public job profiles! Add new activities and experiences, as well as skills and competencies that you have acquired or strengthened. Add relevant coursework and update your GPA! Then upload your resume to Hire a Red Hawk for feedback from the career services.
- Are you ready for work? The National Association of Universities and Employers (NACE) has determined core competencies as a measure of career readiness. Assess whether you have these skills and where you can improve. When writing your resume and / or cover letter, be sure to highlight experiences that demonstrate these competencies.
Prepare for upcoming or future interviews
- Telephone and video interviews are more common than ever. So make sure you are familiar with both media. Sketch out answers to common interview questions and practice quiet, concise delivery with a friend over video chat. Learn the tricks to create virtual interviews.
- Mock interviews: Use the Hire a Red Hawk Mock Interview module to perfect your video interviewing skills and send it to Career Services, a favorite professor, or another for feedback on your performance.
If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]