The Christiansburg Farmers Market begins on the opening day of the 2021 season
CHRISTIANSBURG, VA. (WFXR) – After months of waiting, Christiansburg Farmers Market’s opening day is finally here!
The Christiansburg Farmers Market takes place every Thursday from May 20th to October 28th from 3pm to 7pm.
Due to construction work, the farmers’ market will be temporarily opened in the parking lot of the Christiansburg recreation center.
“Market staff will monitor customer density and restrict market entry as needed to ensure there is sufficient space for social distancing,” wrote the Christiansburg Farmers Market on the Facebook event description for the opening day. “We will also enforce social distancing guidelines by keeping providers within two meters.”
Here is a list of the vendors that Christiansburg Farmers Market says will be opening day on Thursday, May 20th:
- Aloha Eddie sells a variety of snow cone flavors and soft ice cream.
- Bent Mountain Barbeque, a sweet and slightly spicy homemade sauce.
- The Bird and Hopper Farm is a small, sustainable farm that grows openly pollinated vegetables, raises sheep and goats, and offers unique workshops and events.
- Buffie’s Kitchen is known for its variety of biscuits and pet treats.
- Carley’s Kettle Corn brings a family favorite that is made on site.
- Owned and operated by Teresa and Bruce Caldwell, Cavalier Farm offers a variety of meats – including the famous grass-fed / ready-made beef, pork and chicken pasture, and brown pasture eggs – as well as fresh, naturally-grown produce from garden properties.
- The New River Valley Children’s Advocacy Center is a Children’s Trust program that provides forensic interview and advocacy services for the New River Valley.
- Down in the Valley Egg Soaps produces handmade, natural soaps from farm-fresh eggs for creamy lather and great skin benefits. This week’s soap scents include lilac, lemongrass, clove leaf, orange cream, cinnamon leaf, rose, lemon drop, and cedarwood.
- Pulaski County’s Bunn Farms will have a wide variety of meats for sale.
- Gracious Day Grains – a field-to-oven grain company focused on Heritage and Landrace varieties, as well as artisanal milling – will produce products such as grits or polenta made from GDG’s Wapsie Valley corn, cornmeal mix, pancake mix, buckwheat / millet , Turkey Red contain Winter and NuEast Red contain winter wheat, rye flour, and popcorn.
- According to the Christiansburg Farmers Market, Granny Bean’s Confections sells “a mix of sweet and savory treats like grandma”. These include old-fashioned candies, caramels, sugar and cinnamon mini donuts and pops, chocolates, dill pickle mix, Texas junk, whoopie pies, and popcorn balls.
- Heavenly Hill Honey is a trusted source of honey and elderberry syrup from the licensed and audited cuisine of the Virginia Department of Agriculture Consumer Services.
- Jim’s Wood Turning offers a unique perspective on handcrafted items, from wooden bowls to vases.
- KDR Art Studio brings a wide range of art, jewelry and unique gifts to market.
- Lens Crafts makes custom wooden rings, earrings and pendants with precious stones.
- Rural Retreat’s Magnolia Lane Farms LLC specializes in local field flowers for sale by the stick, bucket, and special occasions. Vegetables such as tomatoes will also be available.
- Piemonte Provisions makes handcrafted nut butters, jams, and jams from local ingredients grown near their home in the mountains of Virginia.
- SNS Stitching makes handcrafted items from phone holders to jewelry.
- Space Rabbit Coffee Co. serves a variety of iced and hot coffee.
- TruHarvest Farms brings fruits and vegetables – along with many CBD products – to the market.
- Jane Swing’s creations have homemade sewn items like masks, aprons, etc.
- United Way of the New River Valley is selling t-shirts for teenagers while supplies last.
- The Beast of the Street Pizza, Wings, Italian Ice Cream and Gelato Food Truck will all be at the farmers market this week.
- Virginia Cooperative Extension – The Montgomery County Master Gardener Program will be on hand to provide advice and free seeds.
However, customers are encouraged to order online whenever possible during the Christiansburg Farmers Market season.
With the WFXR News app, available on Apple and Android, you get the latest news, weather and sports on your smartphone.